The latest Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner’s Report has confirmed that the number of road traffic accidents resulting in serious or fatal injuries on Suffolk roads has increased by 21% this year, from 247 to 298 cases.
Drink-driving arrests were up 11.3%, drug arrests were up by 20% and speeding offences increased by 82%.
Even though vehicle safety and technology has improved significantly in recent times, driver errors are on the increase. As a result of this, innocent people are being injured and killed on Suffolk’s roads.
Therefore, whilst insurance companies would have the public believe that safer vehicles means that the increase in injury claims can only be down to the prevalence of fraudulent whiplash claims, the statistics show that:
- Proven fraudulent claims make up less than 1% of all injury claims;
- Instances of drink and drug arrests and speeding offences in our region have increased significantly;
- Traffic congestion in Suffolk has been on an upward trajectory in Suffolk for nearly 30 years: 3,000 million miles driven in Suffolk in 1993 is now up to 4,250 million miles in 2018.
- The amount of serious and fatal road accidents in Suffolk has also been on an upward trend, increasing year on year since 2015, from 187 to 298.
- Serious and fatal accidents involving cyclists increased by over 150% last year, from 18 to 47.
Of the serious and fatal accidents, 46% were caused by the driver failing to look properly, 29% by poor manoeuvre/control, 22.5% by a failure to properly judge distance/speed and 18% by reckless driving. In all of those cases, an innocent driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian was seriously injured or killed.
At Gotelee, we regularly represent victims or their bereaved families in trying to recover and rebuild lives. These accidents often result in physical injuries, mental health issues and financial hardship caused by lost earnings, so victims need early professional and personal representation from specialist lawyers.
Whilst the arrest rates show that the Police are doing a great job trying to tackle and reduce the number of road accidents, the Gotelee personal injury team are here to help the injured and bereaved during the most difficult of times. Please do not hesitate to contact Stevan Stratton on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01473 298111 if you or someone you know has been injured in an accident.