After a number of claims we have seen recently, we thought it worthwhile raising awareness on the dangers and how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless and odourless gas, making its presence difficult to detect. It is formed when domestic fuels such as gas, coal, wood and charcoal are burned and by petrol engines. When fuel burns in an enclosed space, the oxygen in the room is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. If carbon dioxide builds up in the air, the fuel is prevented from burning fully and starts releasing carbon monoxide instead. As a result, people breathing in this air will be poisoned. Symptoms of CO poising will vary with the level of exposure and can range from mild where the person exposed may suffer a headache, nausea and vomiting and feeling “flu like” to more serious symptoms of dizziness, drowsiness, collapse, seizures and even death. Exposure to CO may have long term consequences with severe neurological problems.
The source of the Carbon Monoxide does not have to be your own property. We have recently acted for a family who were poisoned by fumes from the neighbouring flat where a boiler had been negligently serviced some 6 months before by a registered engineer.
There are a number of precautionary steps you can take to protect yourself and family like ensuring appliances are regularly service by a registered Gas Safe (previously Corgi) but the purchase of a CO monitor which will alert you to a high level of CO and be able to take immediate action. The monitors are relatively inexpensive usually around £20 to £30.
If you would like to seek advice on making a claim for carbon monoxide poisoning, contact Sian Mullane on 01473 298131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for free initial advice. We also offer a ‘no win no fee’ payment scheme