In a recent case, a couple endured heartbreak when their £4 million eco-home burnt to the ground when it was close to completion, after a fire tore through the property which was built on a private island off the south coast of England. The couple were in dispute with the builders who were involved in the project and have won the right to full compensation for their loss.
The couple sued for more than £3.5 million damages but the company disputed the cause of the blaze and denied that it was contractually bound to compensate the couple for their loss.
The Court found that the defective installation of a log burner and flue had sparked the fire. Combustible materials were closer to the chimney than the 50mm distance required by building regulations. The burner had been in use for only two weeks when the fire took hold in the building’s roof space, largely destroying the building. As the company was contractually responsible for the faulty installation work carried out by a sub-contractor and had no viable defence to the couple’s claim the amount of compensation payable was left over for agreement between the parties or for assessment by the Court at a later date.
Gotelee can offer advice and assistance to homeowners who find themselves in a dispute with building contractors or tradesmen over works carried out to their properties. For more information, or to make an initial appointment with one of our dispute lawyers in Ipswich, and for a fixed fee, please contact Holly Sadler