I am a solicitor specialising in Private Client Law. My particular areas of specialism are:
I qualified as a solicitor in 2007 and have specialised in contentious and non-contentious Private Client Law since then. I am a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
I am a fully accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly and hold the SFE Older Client Care in Practice Award.
I have a wide range of experience acting for elderly and vulnerable clients, as well as families and business people needing advice on tax planning. I see clients at their homes if this is more convenient for them.
I act for clients in disputes relating to estates, trusts and Court of Protection matters. For example, I have recently acted in the following matters:
– A constructive trust dispute where my client needed to have his beneficial interest in a property declared by the Court
– An application under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 for financial provision for a second wife who had not been reasonably provided for in her late husband’s will
– A dispute where a beneficiary of a trust was dissatisfied with the actions of the trustees
– A dispute over the alleged forgery of a will
– A disputed Court of Protection application for deputyship
– A disputed Court of Protection health and welfare application relating to where a severely brain-damaged client should live
My non-contentious work includes the following:
– Inheritance tax planning
– Lasting Powers of Attorney
– Court of Protection applications
– Administration of estates
I also specialise in NHS Continuing Healthcare funding including dealing with appeals for clients where funding has been refused.
I am a very keen advocate for alternative dispute resolution and I am firmly in favour of disputes being managed and resolved by the parties themselves without the cost and uncertainty of court proceedings. I am an Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator.
I aim to provide clients with an excellent service, to be approachable and to give advice that is clear and easy to understand.
Member – Hadleigh Rotary Club
Rotary is a networking organisation of both genders who volunteer their time and talents to help their communities at home and overseas.
"The ease that we could access and speak to Pat Smith - Thank you"
"This is by far the go-to firm for any issues. You are made to feel valued from the outset and they are so confident in what they do. Wouldn't recommend any other. Thank you Hugh and Max."
- Ros Jones
"I would like to say thank you for your help, support and guidance over the last two and a half years. Obviously should I need further assistance in the future I shall not hesitate to call you guys."
"I don't think this house sale would have pulled together without Jo's determination and expertise. Excellent!"
"We were very pleased to have Jade as our solicitor, the service was excellent and we felt kept in the loop which minimised stress"
"I have used Tracey Laflin at Gotelee on a number of occasions and in my opinion, she is simply the most efficient conveyancing solicitor I have ever worked with. From the outset, she took the time to understand my specific business requirements and to date, she has exceeded all of my expectations."
- Dale Fiddy - Portobello Developments Ltd
"Jade Shelton was absolutely fantastic!! Professional and proactive at all times."
"We found Rachel Dawson outstanding, polite, professional and caring."
"Approachable, very efficient, always willing to take my calls and update me."
"Jade made the process of buying our first home quick, easy and took the stress out of a new chapter of our lives"