Grounds for disputing the validity of a will include the following:
– The will does not comply with the formal requirements for making a will- in simple terms, it is not made by a person over 18 and signed by them in the presence of two independent witnesses
– The person making the will did not have the relevant mental capacity to do so
– The person making the will, despite having mental capacity, still did not know and approve the contents of his will
– The person making the will was coerced into making it
– The will had been revoked (for example, by a later will or by marriage)
It is also possible to dispute the terms of a will under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. Spouses and civil partners, cohabitants, children and dependants can make a claim under this Act if they were not “reasonably provided for”. It is also possible to make a claim under this Act if the deceased did not leave a will and as a result of this you were not reasonably provided for. Claims must usually be brought within 6 months of a grant of probate being issued.
Our solicitors Kay Baker and Rachel Cronin, who are Members of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists, (ACTAPS) specialise in this area of law and adhere to a code of conduct aimed at quickly and cost-effectively resolving disputes for their clients.
In some cases, our solicitors are able to offer funding arrangements such as no-win no-fee.
"The friendliness of Sally Pryke making me feel at ease during the whole process"
"Always kept me informed of the progress"
"Helen Stuart was fantastic and I couldn't have asked for a better solicitor!"
"Everything was dealt with in a compassionate and friendly manner"
"Pat's service is always extremely efficient and very approachable"
"Relieved that I could leave you to deal with the legal aspect of my late husbands estate"
"We cannot thank you enough for all your hard work and sticking with us. You have been amazing and showed a lot of patience when dealing with this case and all for no reward for yourself, thank you."
- Dean Kentfield
"Approachable, very efficient, always willing to take my calls and update me."
"We were very pleased to have Jade as our solicitor, the service was excellent and we felt kept in the loop which minimised stress"
"I have used Tracey Hammond at Gotelee on a number of occasions and in my opinion, she is simply the most efficient conveyancing solicitor I have ever worked with. From the outset, she took the time to understand my specific business requirements and to date, she has exceeded all of my expectations."
- Dale Fiddy - Portobello Developments Ltd