Solicitors for the Elderly
Our commitment to working with older and vulnerable clients
1. We realise that it is especially important to treat older clients and their families and representatives with additional consideration, by being particularly sympathetic and sensitive to any issues they may have and ensuring that our staff treat older clients and their families and representatives with kindness, dignity and respect at all times.
2. Due to the nature of the advice that we may need to give, it is important that we see our clients alone at appropriate times. However we appreciate that some clients may prefer to have a trusted friend or relative present, so we will accommodate that choice if a client wishes it. Once a client is at ease and feels comfortable with us we will want some time alone with him or her in order to ensure that we are acting on the client’s instructions and have understood them correctly.
3. If a client has particular difficulty such as a hearing or sight impediment or if English is not their first language, and we feel it would be wise and in their best interests , we will suggest the use of an independent interpreter.
4. It is our usual practise to keep a record of who attended the meeting on file and in particular, if the client expressed a preference as to whom they wished to be present, we will document that in writing.
5. Where legal terminology is used we will try to ensure that our client understands what has been said and try and explain what the term means in a way that the client can understand.
6. We will take steps to make ourselves aware of any potential capacity or physical limitation that our client may have and take these matters into account when arranging to meet with or communicate to the client. In particular we are able to produce documents with a larger type face or on different coloured paper if that assists the client.
7. In all cases we will endeavour to ensure each meeting with the client is at a pace and duration to suit their needs and when ever possible at a time of day and venue that is best for them.
8. If a client wishes it we are happy to visit them in their home but we can also arrange to meet them in whichever of our offices is best for them particularly if they require on site parking , level access and readily available and easily accessible toilet facilities
9. We realise that older clients may have difficulty in producing the usual documents such as a valid passport or driving license as evidence of identity. Whilst ensuring that we comply with money laundering requirements we will be sensitive to the problem and potential embarrassment this can cause.
10. Anyone signing in the capacity of an attorney or deputy for our client will be asked to verify who they are by producing ID documents to us.
11. We ensure that all relevant facts are noted in our attendance note of any meeting
"This is by far the go-to firm for any issues. You are made to feel valued from the outset and they are so confident in what they do. Wouldn't recommend any other. Thank you Hugh and Max."
- Ros Jones
"We were very pleased to have Jade as our solicitor, the service was excellent and we felt kept in the loop which minimised stress"
"I would like to say thank you for your help, support and guidance over the last two and a half years. Obviously should I need further assistance in the future I shall not hesitate to call you guys."
"“ This is the second time we have used Tracey for the conveyancing to buy our new home. She is always completely approachable, she has helped us along the way with advice and useful tips that has helped lessen the stress. We have complete confidence in her and would not hesitate to recommend her to our friends and family”. - Peter Dawes, Cater Dawes Financial Planning "
"The ease that we could access and speak to Pat Smith - Thank you"
"Prompt, helpful, polite and very professional service"
"We found Rachel Dawson outstanding, polite, professional and caring."
"Approachable, very efficient, always willing to take my calls and update me."
"Jade made the process of buying our first home quick, easy and took the stress out of a new chapter of our lives"
"I don't think this house sale would have pulled together without Jo's determination and expertise. Excellent!"